Creamy Seafood Chowder
Pair with Tom Gore Vineyards Chardonnay
2 Pounds halibut; skin discarded and cut into 1 inch pieces
2 Dozen clams; rinsed
2 Pounds rock shrimp; cleaned
2 Stalks celery; diced
2 Leeks; tops discarded; white part diced
6 Cloves garlic; minced
2 Sprigs fresh garlic; chopped
1 Pound fingerling potatoes; blanched and diced
1 Cup Tom Gore Vineyards Chardonnay
4 Cups fish stock
2 Cups heavy cream
1/4 Cup butter
1/4 Cup all-purpose flour
1/2 Meyer lemon; juiced
4 Sprigs fresh parsley
Salt and pepper to taste
Yields: 6-8 servings
1. In a heavy bottomed sauce pan, on low heat, sweat leeks in butter until translucent. Add celery and cook until soft. Add garlic and thyme and cook for 1 minute then evenly incorporate flour. Raise heat to medium and cook for 3 more minutes; constantly stirring.
2. Whisk in wine and cook for 1 minute then whisk in the fish stock. Bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and whisk in the heavy cream.
3. Add the rock shrimp; once they are half way cooked through, add the halibut and clams.
4. Once all the seafood is completely cooked, add the fingerling potatoes.
5. Garnish with parsley and serve immediately.